So you’re ready to sell. Now what?
Prepping your house for market can take some good old fashion hard work!
Get your house into tip-top shape with some of the following recommendations:
- Get all your ducks in a row. Make sure to have all paperwork on the house ready. Your agent will need this for the listing, and buyers will ask for it. So getting it ready ahead of time is great.
- Walk around your home and make a list of repairs. Ask a friend or family member to come to your house and walk with you. Sometimes we don’t see things that others can, so a fresh pair of eyes can make the difference. You will want to make sure everything is working, clean, and repaired.
- Clean clean clean. We mean clean. A clean house shows care and that a home has been taken care of. It will project a happy living environment and can affect the amount offered on a property.
- Go outside and walk around for potential cleaning and repairs. A little gardening can go a long way, so make sure to keep the lawn mowed and flowers de-weeded (or better yet, list in the winter!)
- Declutter everything. Your home will be for sale which means it will no longer be your home. Take down all personal touches and try to be a generic as possible. Think hotel. You want the buyer to be able to picture their items in your home, so take down the photos, declutter every single room and closet, and garage as much as possible. If you need to put items in storage for the time being, it’s recommended.
Working with your agent – they will go through a variety of professional services, such as photography, to aid in the marketing of your listing. They will communicate with you to schedule these dates. You will also need to sign all listing documents for the formal sale, and let it be known who you want to use for your lawyer.
And if you want to go the extra mile, you can always have your home pre-inspected. Your potential buyers will most likely have a home and/or sewer inspection done on your home (well water too if you are not on municipal services). Having these items pre-inspected will give you the change to fix any items that may pop up, allowing you to get ahead of the curve and making the right repairs prior to sale.